What3Words Limited (“We”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This policy (together with our terms and conditions what3words.com/terms and any other documents referred to in them) sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is What3Words Limited of Dewmead House, Hinxworth, Baldock, Herts, SG7 5HD.
Our nominated representative for the purpose of the Act is Christopher Sheldrick.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
Information that you provide us by filling in forms on our site what3words.com (our site) or on our App. This includes information provided to us via any contact or enquiry form on our site or App or at the time of booking any services with us or in connection with our App. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our site.
User content including photographs, videos and other content that you choose to share on our site and/or App and any associated content including comments that you post to our site and/or App.
If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
Details of your visits to our site and App, the resources that you access, and how you access them. This may include information about the device you are using, how your device interacts with our service (for example crashes and system activity), your search queries and information about your actual location at the time of using our service.
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type and for system administration. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
Where we store your personal data
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device;
- To provide you with information you request from us;
- To improve the services we provide in the short-term, for example by providing you with more relevant search results;
- To improve the services we provide over the longer-term by understanding how you and other user’s interact with our site;
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us;
- To notify you about changes to our services.
We may share aggregated and anonymised information publicly and with our partners. For example, we may share information with our partners to help them understand how best to implement our service within their products, or publicly to show trends about the general use of our services.
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- If What3Words Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its clients will be one of the transferred assets;
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our terms and conditions what3words.com/terms and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of What3Words Limited, our clients, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
We will not process your personal data for marketing purposes.
Use of OneWord data
The information you choose to store within our OneWord service (OneWord data) is publicly and freely available to any user of our website, our App and any of our third party partners.
Your what3words user account data will never be public or disclosed to our third party partners; only your OneWord data is disclosed.
We do not publish a complete database of OneWords and OneWord data. Your OneWord data is only available to those who enter your OneWord on our website, our App, or our third party services.
In circumstances where the OneWord purchased by you can be used by third parties, your OneWord data will be disclosed to the operators of such third parties and, in addition, the provisions set out below in the section headed Third Party Services will apply.
Third Party Services
Our site or App may contain links to other websites, apps and resources provided by third parties. In addition, we make our service available for third parties to create products and services that are interoperable with our services. If you use any third party service which is interoperable with what3words or follow a link from our site or app to any third party service, please note that they have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these services provided by third parties.
Google Maps APIs
Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.